Edmund Rice Pathways
Edmund Rice Pathways provide people like you with an invitation to connect. Each pathway offers you an open window to the heart of the Edmund Rice response. Such pathways invite you to glimpse something that captures, informs, guides or inspires who you are becoming in our world. The pathway choice is simply up to you!
There are many ways of participating in the
Edmund Rice Movement in Oceania and World Wide.
Edmund Rice, inspired by his awareness of the Sacred present in every person he encountered, was moved to acts of compassion that liberated people from the shackles that denied them fullness of life.
Edmund himself, and those who later joined him to form the Congregation of Christian Brothers, were themselves transformed by their experiences.
In recent times, people other than Christian Brothers, have consciously and intentionally attended to their inner spiritual search in ways that draw inspiration from the life and vision of Edmund and the specific works of the Christian Brothers.
These expressions of connection and engagement are known as Edmund Rice Pathways.
Many of these pathways are associated with or emerge from an initial connection to an Edmund Rice ministry. However the scope and diversity of offerings are not restricted to those with an existing Edmund Rice association.
Edmund Rice Pathways provide people like you with an invitation to connect. Each opportunity offers you an open window to the heart of the Edmund Rice response. In entering the experience you are likely to glimpse something that captures, informs, guides or inspires who you are becoming in our world. The pathway choice is simply up to you!
New Pathways Project - volunters, immersions and internships
Supported by the Oceania Province, New Pathways is a project that encourages people interested in exploring a personal commitment to the Edmund Rice charism, to find ways of making such a commitment possible.
Some people have made private vows, others have included a commitment as part of their marriage vows, and others have discovered new ways and new expressions.
For more information please use the "Contact" page for phone numbers and contact the Regional Coordinator in the Office nearest you.
|Volunteering changes the way you see your world and your place in it. Seeing the world through the eyes of another can be a moment of profound transformation. For many volunteers they can never be the same again.
As a volunteer you will be able to connect meaningfully with others, hear their stories and strip away the false illusion of differences that artificially separate us. Only from here can we allow the concerns of another to become our concerns because we understand more fully that our fates are intertwined.
Volunteering is something everyone should consider doing at some point in their life, for many it is the only way to enjoy a tiny experience of what life is like for others. Our catalyst for volunteering is usually a desire to help or to solve a problem. Therefore our experiences often begin as responding to perceived needs through providing a ‘service’. Before long we are engaged in acts of 'charity' as we seek 'justice' and support 'peace'. Before long many volunteers become so informed about the systemic causes of inequity that their volunteering starts to also include 'advocacy' for the disempowered and even 'activism' to draw attention to unmet rights.
We have learned that through the dislocation that comes from regular contact with poor and marginalized people, our eyes are opened and our hearts are transformed. Our volunteers know that we become ever more conscious of this transformation as we reflect on our experiences in the light of our sacred stories and our collective mission. Providing a long list of volunteer opportunities is one of the ways the Christian Brothers and the Edmund Rice Network supports people to consider more deeply;
“who it is that I intend to be in the world?”
For a listing of the Edmund Rice Oceania Projects and the skills required to the part of any of them check out Metanoia Matters and register your interest. By using the latest technology your knowledge and skills can be used without your leaving home.
All Edmund Rice Ministries and Programs welcome volunteers – contact one today!
“What is it that you intend to do, with your one wild, precious life?”
Click on the bar below to see how you may get involved in the Edmund Rice Movement.
Service Opportunities - ways of getting involved
Do you feel called to participate in the work inspired by Blessed Edmund Rice?
Suitable candidates are welcome to join the staff of the Edmund Rice Ministries in Oceania.
Ways to participation include:
Supporters and Donors
- Show your interest by attending functions and by supporting the works introduced in this website.
- Browse the site to see where you might be able to show your support
Immersions and Internships Participants
- There are opportunities to be involved in an Immersions or Internships program.
- Open Immersions and Internships in the New Pathways section higher on this page.
Part -Time Volunteers
- The ministries listed here generally have placements for dedicated part-time or short-term volunteers.
- Contact the ministry where you believe your talents might be used.
Full-Time, Short Term or Long Volunteers
- These apply mostly to our overseas ministries. Open the Volunteers Page.
- Contact the Support Centre in your region to enquirer about what opportunities are available.
Full-Time or Part Time Employees
- Our Offices require many staff and from time to time positions are advertised.
- Current Advertisements are placed lower on this page.
- This is for a male who wishes to make a life-long commitment to live a community life as a Religious Brother.
- Oprn the Christian Brothers Vocations section lower on this page.
Positions Vacant in Edmund Rice Ministries and Offices
Currently there are no Positions being advertised.
Click on the bar below find out more about the Christian Brothers.
Christian Brothers - commitment
- Christian Brothers are aware of being captivated by what we see as the Divine Mystery at work in our world.
- We seek to deepen our understanding of this Mystery which many call God.
- Our experience, along with more recent learnings from science, is forging a new consciousness in us.
- Our reflection on the story of the Universe leads us to see our connectedness with all of creation and to search for truth in all its forms.
- The person of Jesus is central to our Catholic Christian heritage. Relating deeply with him and embracing his vision are fundamental for our living. We experience God especially in people made poor by global inequality and we seek to work with communities of poor people to support them in living with dignity and justice.
- This also involves our exercising advocacy for greater equality across the planet. Our history as educators causes us to care especially for young people.
- Responding to a personal call from God, Christian Brothers embrace a particular form of Christian life lived in community and contribute, in keeping with their founding charism, to the mission that Jesus Christ entrusted to his Church.
- The three vows of a Christian Brothers are evangelical poverty, consecrated celibacy and prophetic obedience. They relate to the major dimensions of human life—possessions, relationships, freedom and power.
- First begun by our founder Edmund Rice in 1802, today the Christian Brothers form a global network of people who collaborate with others to live and work for a better world.
Do you feel God calling you to dedicate your life as a Christian Brother?
If so click on the blue bar below the image.
Christian Brothers Vocations - Do you feel called?
The Chapter Call
To be in right relationships as brother with each other, with people made poor and with the whole Earth community,conscious that being brother is our pathway to our being evangelised and transformed.
Nairobi Congregation Chapter 2014.
There is a constant call from God for all of us to respond to the love that Jesus showed in his life in various ways. One of these ways is in consecrated religious life.The Christian Brothers welcome enquiries from those who may be interested in knowing more about the life of the Christian Brothers, and possibilities of following Edmund Rice as vowed members.A person interested in this life would enter a journey of discernment. The first part of this journey is in expressing interest and entering into conversation while living life as normal. As the conversation continues, so too may your journey.Br John Webb is the Coordinator of Vocations for the Christian Brothers Oceania Province. He welcomes enquiries and requests for further information. In addition there are local Christian Brothers across the Oceanic region who can accompany people on their journey.
Professional Standards Office
The Professional Standards Office of the Christian Brothers Oceania Province is located in Melbourne and is staffed by experts skilled in handling all aspects of abuse matters.
They are available to provide advice including assistance in reporting incidents of abuse, helping individuals access important services such as professional counselling as well as working with individuals on redress including facilitation of mediation and management of civil claims.
The Professional Standards Office may be contacted on +61 (0)3 8359 0134.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR RESPONDING TO CIVIL CLAIMS INVOLVING ALLEGATIONS OF CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE